If you have a home in Bridgewater you know that summer is coming up fast and that means lots of electric for air conditioning and fans. If you want to save some money on your electric bills here are five ideas that can really make a difference this summer!
- Check the filters in your home. If you have replaceable filters you are looking at about $5 from Home Depot or Lowes for a new filter and it will really make a difference in the air circulation in your home. The better the circulation the less the AC runs and the more money you save. If you have filters that can be cleaned by all means take them out and wash them. Same idea as replaceable filters. Air flow saves you money and keeps you cooler. The long term benefit is that the system will last longer on the whole so you save money by not having to replace the AC unit.
- If you have rooms that you do not use on a regular basis, close the vents. No reason to pay for cool air you are not going to use. Keep the vent and the room to the door closed all day.
- Many electric companies vary their rates for off peak hours to encourage people to use energy when there is a better supply. Consider doing things like the laundry after 7 at night or early in the morning and use cold water whenever possible.
- When I was little my father would always tell me, “Turn off lights!” As an adult now I know what he meant. I am not saying live in the dark but the extra energy from those bulbs costs a fortune. It is not just light bulbs; unplug things that are not in use. Lots of equipment these days have instant on capability so it is available instantly. This is a big waste. Consider your cell phone chargers and how you probably leave them plugged in so you can hook up when you get home. All day they use trickle energy and cost you money.
- Switching to new energy efficient light bulbs is a big start. The initial cost is a little more but they burn with less heat and energy so they save you money two ways. Generally they last as much as 7 years.
In addition to the tips here, you can save money in New Jersey by switching to a discount energy supplier. I am saving 12% on my electric bill by switching a couple years ago. If you would like a list of companies that can save you money in Central New Jersey, send us an email with the word ENERGY in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you a list.